MORE EXCELLENT NEWS:
Ashra finished Champion of Bulgaria today :-) with one more CAC & Res. CACIB.
The judge's written critique was quite amusing: correct teeth, typical head, a bit skinny but otherwise all other features are correct to the standard.
We tried walking around the ring to calm Ashra down, and it worked but the gaiting is something we still need to keep working on. I can't seem to get her to move fast enough without getting too excited, launching into a zoomie and/or trying to jump on me. If I move her slowly, she starts trying to sniff the ground... bah. At least stacking is taken care of, thankfully.
I suppose we will go to the next show in February or the one in March, to try to get two more CACs to qualify for Gr. Ch. Bulgaria and Balkan Champion.
Today was our first show since September last year, so we were a little bit rusty. The gaiting, in my opinion, was absolutely terrible - Ashra was over excited and running everywhere, but it was good to see that Ashra's stack was much improved (I didn't have to hand stack her, she did well enough with the free stack).
But I have some EXCELLENT NEWS despite that: Ashra won the intermediate class and received her first CAC. So, because this is a multi-day show, if she wins tomorrow, she will qualify for the title Champion of Bulgaria.
The judge's written critique:
Medium substance, great top line, good movement (I'm surprised at this one, since I slipped and almost fell over), deep chest, charismatic with an excellent temperament.
I want to warn anyone who is thinking of dealing with this Russian kennel, to go to Moscow and visit them to make sure they don't get ripped off. I have had no end of trouble with this breeder and I would not recommend them.
I recently bought a show prospect puppy from these people and the puppy is a complete basket case with zero confidence and lacking in stability - it is unable to adjust to normal everyday life:
- It pees/poops immediately while screaming any time it is left in a crate or alone
- It pees and runs away from any new experiences or encounters, including something simple such as a visitor coming to the door or saying "hi" in a soft voice.
- It is obsessed with its own filth (poop), and that of others
- It licks itself and the walls obsessively
- It barks and freaks out at inanimate objects
- It is afraid to go outside, and as soon as it has done its business, it tries to run back in
- If we go any further than 50m from the house, the puppy shuts down, puts its tail between its legs and starts shivering
- It snaps and snarls at my 14 month old because it gets stressed out really easily
- It has no interest in other dogs or people, and freaks out if dogs/people are walking behind it (even at a distance of 20m)
I have had this puppy for 8 days and have tried to slowly introduce it to new people and environments, but it just shuts down and starts shivering or peeing. There has been absolutely no improvement since the day I got it.
1. The breeder told me that they never saw any problems with the puppy before. In fact, their description of her temperament was "confident and self-assured", but had I known otherwise, I would not have put down the deposit.
2. Then they admitted that she peed whenever she encountered something new, but that they thought it wasn't a problem.
3. Then they said that puppies not sold until they are 5 months old, living in kennels, can develop these sorts of behavioural issues (the puppy is 3 months old)
4. Now they are calling me a liar and saying that they have never seen temperament problems in any of the dogs they've bred and supposing that I am not taking care of the puppy properly.
5. They are blaming me for a loss of profit, trying to make out that I ordered them to keep a puppy natural (not true - the puppy was 3 weeks old and still had a tail when I contacted them) and as such they will now have trouble selling her in Russia if she is returned.
6. They do not want to refund the price I paid or even contribute to the costs of shipping the puppy back despite the fact that they were dishonest to me. The truth is, they really just don't care about anything but money.